Domestic Workers Celebrate Women's Day
Sunday 20 March 2011
by: David Bacon, t r u t h o u t | Photo Essay
(Photos by David Bacon)
A call for passing the California Bill of Rights for domestic workers.
San Francisco - A coalition of domestic workers' and other low wage workers' organizations celebrated Women's Day on March 8, and launched an effort to get the state of California to pass a bill of rights for domestic workers.
The California Domestic Worker Bill of Rights would provide domestic workers with:
- Equal overtime pay.
- Equal right to a safe and healthy workplace.
- Equal right to worker's compensation.
- Equal right to reporting time pay.
- Equal right to notice before termination.
- Right to 5 hours uninterrupted sleep under adequate conditions.
- Right to cook one's own food.
- Right to annual cost of living wage increase.
- Right to paid vacations.
- Right to paid sick days.
This work by Truthout is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.